Martin Beard Photography

Hengrave Hall latest wedding

Hengrave Hall latest wedding


0H8A1009
0H8A1026 0H8A1060 0H8A1084 0H8A1099 0H8A1146 0H8A1155 0H8A1160 0H8A1171 0H8A1207 0H8A1229 0H8A1289 0H8A1296 0H8A1300 0H8A1309 0H8A1320 0H8A1401 0H8A1515 0H8A1583 0H8A1612 0H8A1634 Hengrave Hall, latest wedding Hengrave Hall, latest wedding 0H8A1707 Hengrave Hall, latest wedding Hengrave Hall, latest wedding Hengrave Hall, latest wedding 0H8A1759 0H8A1794 0H8A1801 0H8A1883 IMG_4970 IMG_5037 IMG_5163 IMG_5256 IMG_5257 IMG_5310 IMG_5321 IMG_5361 IMG_5372 IMG_5399 IMG_5401 IMG_5431 IMG_5449 IMG_5450 IMG_5476 IMG_5507 IMG_5560 IMG_5568 IMG_5571 IMG_5607 IMG_5621 IMG_5709 IMG_6077 IMG_6121 IMG_6124 IMG_6140 IMG_6143 IMG_6157 IMG_6161 IMG_6187 IMG_6275 IMG_6398

IMG_6423

Hengrave Hall latest wedding

Hengrave Hall is a little piece of heaven quietly nestled in the Suffolk countryside near Bury St Edmunds, where it has sat undisturbed for the past 500 years. The house, gardens and church have been lovingly restored with meticulous attention to detail to create a haven where, for a moment, time stands still. Set within 350 acres of tranquil parkland and with sweeping lawns and meadows, a majestic lake, and its own idyllic chapel it’s grace and historical charm offers the perfect ambience for wedding photography.

Hengrave Hall is a Tudor manor house near Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk, England and was the seat of the Kitson and Gage families 1525-1887. Both families were Roman Catholic recusants.

Work on the house was begun in 1525 by Thomas Kitson, a London merchant and member of the Mercers Company, who completed it in 1538. The house is one of the last examples of a house built around an enclosed courtyard with a great hall. It is constructed from stone taken from Ixworth Priory (dissolved in 1536) and white bricks baked at Woolpit. The house is notable for an ornate oriel window incorporating the royal arms of Henry VIII, the Kitson arms and the arms of the wife and daughters of Sir Thomas Kitson the Younger (Kitson quartered with Paget; Kitson quartered with Cornwallis; Kitson quartered with Darcy; Kitson quartered with Cavendish). The house is embattled, and in the great hall there is an oriel window with fan vaulting by John Wastell, the architect of the chapels at Eton College and King’s College, Cambridge. The chapel contains 21 lights of Flemish glass commissioned by Kitson and installed in 1538, depicting salvation history from the creation of the world to the Last Judgement. This is the only collection of pre-reformation glass that has remained in situ in a domestic chapel anywhere in England. In the dining room is a Jacobean symbolic painting over the fireplace that defies interpretation, bearing the legend ‘obsta principiis, post fumum flamma’ (‘Stand against the basic tenets, behind the smoke is a flame’). Also in the Banquet Hall of the house is a window with the coat of arms of George Washington, quartered with that of Lawrence. One of Sir Thomas Kitson’s daughters married into the Washington family.

The house was altered by the Gage family in 1775. The outer court and the east wing were demolished and the moat was filled in. Alterations on the front of the house were begun but never completed, and Sir John Wood attempted to restore the interior of the house to its original Tudor appearance in 1899. He rebuilt the east wing and re-panelled most of the house in oak. One room, the Oriel Chamber, retains its original seventeenth century paneling, in which is embedded a portrait of James II painted by William Wissing in 1675. It is thought that some of the original panelling found its way to the Gage’s townhouse in Bury St. Edmunds, now the Farmers’ Club in Northgate Street. The ornate windows and mouldings at the front of the building feature on the coverpiece on the Suffolk edition of Pevsner’s Buildings of England.

Some have speculated that Mary I stopped briefly at Hengrave Hall on her way to Framlingham Castle in 1553, but there is no evidence for this other than that John Bourchier, Earl of Bath, who had married Sir Thomas Kitson’s widow Margaret, was a loyal supporter of the Queen. (However the Queen’s father Henry VIII was godfather to Margaret’s son Henry Long from her 2nd marriage, so it is not entirely improbable). Elizabeth I stayed at Hengrave Hall from 27–30 August 1578 and a chamber is named in her honour. The madrigalist John Wilbye was employed by the Kitsons at Hengrave and in London, as was the composer Edward Johnson.[2]

During the Stour Valley anti-popery riots of 1642, Sir William Spring, Penelope Darcy’s cousin, was ordered by Parliament to search the house, where it was thought arms for a Catholic insurrection were being stored.[3] The Jesuit William Wright was arrested at Hengrave Hall.

King James II visited Hengrave throughout the 1670s and attended the wedding of William Gage and Charlotte Bond in 1670. The lawyer and antiquarian John Gage was the brother of William Gage, 7th Baronet, and wrote ‘The History and Antiquities of Hengrave Hall in Suffolk’ in 1822. It is said that the greengage was named after a tree first grown in England at Hengrave Hall, but the tree was actually named after the Viscounts Gage of Firle, Sussex who were cousins of the Hengrave Gages.

On 14 September 1974 the Assumptionists founded the ecumenical Hengrave Hall Community of Reconciliation, originally a group of families of different Christian denominations. Later, the Community came to consist of long-term members, who remained in the Community for up to seven years, and short-term members, many of whom came from countries in Central and Eastern Europe for periods ranging from one year to three months. Although strongly inspired by other ecumenical communities like Taizé and the Iona Community, the Hengrave Community had a distinctive character owing to the Sisters’ continued presence.

Hengrave Hall latest wedding

Hengrave Hall recommended photographer Martin Beard

http://www.hengravehall.com/

 

Facebook Comments